Pancake Day...who knew?

First, sorry again for another long break between posts!

So, yesterday (February 24th) was Pankcake Day or Shrove Tuesday here in the UK...to us this is known as Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday. (also, pancake = crepe)

Anyhow, I didn't know that the two were related or even what Pancake Day was until I got to work. A colleague of mine asked me if we had Pankcake Day in the states, to which I replied...'no!' before I understood the full meaning behind it.

To quote the BBC...'Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the ritual of shriving that Christians used to undergo in the past. In shriving, a person confesses their 
sins and receives absolution for them. During Lent there are many foods that some Christians - historically and today - would not eat: foods such as meat and fish, fats, eggs, and milky foods. So that no food was wasted, families would have a feast on the shriving Tuesday, and eat up all the foods that wouldn't last the forty days of Lent without going off. The need to eat up the fats gave rise to the French name Mardi Gras ('fat Tuesday'). Pancakes became associated with Shrove Tuesday as they were a dish that could use up all the eggs, fats and milk in the house with just the addition of flour.'

Now you have a little bit more background!

Ok, on with my story. So my colleague proceeds to explain the above to me, to which I say...oh, you mean Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras. This draws the attention of the entire room, about 8 other people, all from different backgrounds, Portuguese, Indian, Actor, Nigerian, etc...
I am now explaining the meaning behind Mardi Gras, and Lent, and fasting, and not eating meat, to which I am being asked endless questions and feeling like I am defending myself, Americans, Catholics, etc...which was not really the case, but it's the way that I felt. Now, I know that the same type of thing could happen in the US, or even with friends, but yesterday was different, it felt like the entire room was picking on me, the American (which I am labeling myself).

When all was said and done, I wanted to cry, I felt so attacked.  And, then it came to me (it only took 6 months here), that I am a 'foreigner.' I am an American living in a European country, yes, they speak English, and yes it is probably the most "Western" of all the countries, but I never thought of it like that! I am the people that I sometimes judge in the states, and it was a very surprising fact to realize 6 months into this thing.

I think that because everyone speaks English I never really thought about it like
 that, another example...you are at the grocery store and you want to buy rolls, so you ask where are the rolls? No one knows what you are talking about, it's like you are speaking a foreign language, even though you are BOTH speaking English, now, if I had asked for a "bap", it would be clear I was speaking of bread in a little ball form.

Ok, wrapping things up, I guess if someone was to ask me to pinpoint myself living in London, I would say that I am an American Expat, but 
really I am a foreigner, and I never really thought of it like that. I am what I think about when I encounter people that can't speak English in America, and it was a hard reality to face. In other words, it was a really eye-opening experience!  And we made English Pancakes (crepes basically) to celebrate!


(this is just my (Anne's) opinion and no one else's)

No comments: